College Preparatory Courses
As parents, we want to make sure you were aware of the array of programs we are offering to your student. Our goal is to not only have your student Rooted in Christ, and Ready for Tomorrow, but also whether they choose to or not, prepared to be successful at a 4-year college or university.
- Advanced Placement program. This fall we will once again offer five Advanced Placement classes: AP Literature and Composition, AP Calculus, AP US History, AP Biology and AP Government and Politics (Civics). Students in the accelerated (honors) math track should plan on taking AP Calculus as seniors. Our English program is designed such that every student should be successful in AP English provided they have maintained an A or B average and, like math, should have demonstrated an aptitude in the content area. There is a fee for the AP Exam at the end of the course.
- Grand Canyon University dual credit program. Riverside juniors and seniors attend online courses with other GCU students. Classes are taught by GCU faculty through a Christian perspective at a reduced cost per credit. http://www.gcu.edu/Dual-Enrollment.php
- Central Washington University’s Cornerstone: College in the High School program. We are working diligently to finalize our partnership with CWU by this fall so we can offer reduced cost per credit ($55) for students participating in this program. It is similar to Running Start but is taught at RCS by our teachers rather than the college campus. At this point in time we hope to offer Math 152 & 154 (Pre-calc) and Math 172 & 173 (Calc/AP Calc).
Did you know we offer a wide array of electives through:
- RCS course offerings. Students may choose from drama, strategies, robotics, home economics, guitar, and missions.
- Red Comet. A broad selection of online courses that will be applied to the CTE graduation credit requirement. There is no additional cost for this elective program. http://redcomet.org/
- YV Technical Skills Center. Students must be at least 16 years old to attend this cost free opportunity to prepare themselves for the next level of education or a career following high school. http://www.yvtech.us/index.html
Did you know we participate in the Christian Education Partners Scholarship:
- Northwest Nazarene University and Grand Canyon University. Scholarship is established at $5,000 per year for every year that the student attends RCS full time in grades 9 through 12 (This is up to $20,000 savings in college tuition!)